Overcome Having Bad Thoughts about God

Post image for Overcome Having Bad Thoughts about God

by Naquan on December 31, 2009

As Christians, we at times have bad thoughts about God that aren’t good. We think, “God can’t do this or that” or we get angry and mad with God that we begin thinking and speaking negatively of Him. Sometimes the negative thoughts are so strong that it literally drains our day and controls our mind.

There is encouragement for you today. God understands your battle; so much so that He’s given you instructions on how to overcome the bad and negative thoughts you have.

Know that God’s grace is sufficient for you; that in your weakness God’s strength is made perfect in you. If you want to stop having bad thoughts you will need the strength of God to help you.

Casting Down Bad Thoughts

I encourage you to read, Romans 12:2 where it tells you to “be transformed by the renewing of your mind”. If you are going to get away from the mental strain of having bad thoughts, you will first need to be transformed (changed).

The only way to be changed is by surrendering yourself and all ungodly thoughts to the Lord. How do you do this? By casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalts itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ (2 Corinthians 10:5).

How do you bring your thoughts to the obedience of Christ? Philippians 4:8 tells us how:

“Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable–if anything is excellent or praiseworthy–think about such things.”

Every time you have a bad thought, every time you want to make a bad comment about God, cast down those imaginations, bring it to the obedience of Christ (2 Corinthians 10:5) and think on those things which are excellent and praiseworthy (Philippians 4:8).

Renew Your Mind

Bringing every thought to the obedience of Christ and thinking on those things which are excellent and praiseworthy will result in the initiation of having a renewed mind in Christ. Why? Because it’s only through Christ that your mind will be changed. Only when you cast bad thoughts and bring those thought to the obedience of Christ will you be able to overcome this. Only by thinking on things that are pure and Godly will you overcome bad thinking.

Scripture: “For the word of God is alive and powerful. It is sharper than the sharpest two-edged sword, cutting between soul and spirit, between joint and marrow. It exposes our innermost thoughts and desires” (Hebrews 4:12; NLT).

In addition to thinking on excellent and praiseworthy things, begin reading and meditating on the word of God; allowing it to take precedence over your thought life. You cannot read the Word of God and not be changed. It will expose your inner most thoughts and desires and with the leadership of the Holy Spirit that’s within you, it will begin to change you. Not only will it change your thoughts but it will also change and mold you into a better Christian. The Word of God will begin to permeate and dominate your thoughts; overpowering every bad thought you have.

If your struggle is having bad thoughts about God, I encourage you to addresses the reasons as to why your having bad thoughts about Him and find a scripture that addresses it. 2 Corinthians 10:5 is a great place to begin when bad thoughts comes to mind and you want to get rid of them.

You will find that as you begin to read God’s word, He will speak to you, helping you overcome every impure thought you have. Personally, I can testify to this because God has helped me to overcome bad thoughts through the reading and meditation of His word.

Silence the Voice of the Enemy

When the enemy tempts you to start thinking and speaking negative of God, bind the devils mouth in Jesus name. The enemy will try to cloud your mind with ungodly thoughts but you have authority over the devil through Christ Jesus. When you’re tempted, know that God “…will not allow the temptation to be more than you can stand. When you are tempted, he (God) will show you a way out so that you can endure” (1 Corinthians 10:13).

Finial Words: Having Bad Thoughts

I encourage you trust and earnestly seek God for strength to overcome this and He will give it to you. The Bible says “…those who trust in the LORD will find new strength. They will soar high on wings like eagles. They will run and not grow weary. They will walk and not faint” (Isaiah 40:31).

Remember to cast down imaginations, and every high thing that exalts itself against the knowledge of God, and bring into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ and to think on things which are Godly and praiseworthy when you’re tempted to think or speak negative.

Repent and plead the blood of Jesus against every negative thought and word said. Read the word of God daily because He will begin to renew your mind; He will begin to change and transform you – helping you to overcome bad thoughts.

You may not see a difference immediately, but have faith in God knowing that He is beginning a good work in you. That He is changing you from the inside out. When you feel as though nothing is happening continue to say aloud 2 Corinthians 10:5.

Have faith, trust and believe that God is transforming and renewing your mind because He is. Remember to walk by faith and not by sight (2 Corinthians 5:7). In due time, you will see the manifestation of what’s happening in the spiritual realm in the natural realm.

Regrets and Guilt

If you begin to have regrets or feel guilty for having bad thoughts about God after you repented and asked God for His forgiveness; know that this is the devil condemning you. God tells you in His word that theres no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit. Therefore, rebuke the devil in Jesus name because God forgave you the first time you asked for forgiveness; God doesn’t desire for you to feel guilt or regrets.

Prayer for Overcoming Bad Thoughts

Lord, I ask for forgiveness of everything I’ve thought, said or done that was displeasing to you; Lord I confess my sins and ask for your forgiveness in Jesus name. I receive your forgiveness because you are faithful and just to forgive and cleanse me of all unrighteousness and to remember my sins no more.

Lord, help me. Renew my mind through your son Jesus Christ. Help me to stop thinking and speaking badly of you Lord; come into my life and change me. Help me to think on those things which are pure and praiseworthy in your sight.

Guard my thoughts and place a guard over my lips to speak seeds of life and not death; to think on things which are Godly and not ungodly. I make a decision right now to I bring every thought to the obedience of Christ and to declare that the devil has no control over my mind nor my thoughts. I thank you in advance for changing me; for transforming me. I praise you in advance Lord for helping me.

Right now I forgive and let go of things of the past because old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new (2 Corinthians 5:17).

I ask this, believing that it’s already done, in Jesus name; Amen.

Let the name of the Lord alone be magnified. God bless you.

Image by: xJasonRogersx

• Twitter
  • Digg
  • Facebook
  • MySpace
  • StumbleUpon
  • del.icio.us
  • RSS

Receive spiritual words of encouragement and daily devotions for Christian everyday living by RSS feed or via email. Thanks for visiting and God bless you :)

No related posts.

Jamaal October 3, 2010 at 12:19 pm

Thanks for this! God bless

Naquan October 3, 2010 at 10:56 pm

Hi Jamaal,

To God be ALL the glory. Be encouraged my brother and God bless in Jesus name; Amen!

Matt November 3, 2010 at 12:27 pm

Hello and God Bless. I am struggling with some warfare. I know I believe in God. But I continue to have some really bad thoughts about God. I was saved on Aug 9 of this year…and i have not had a break since…the enemy keeps putting thoughts in my head…and I cast them down but it doesnt help….it makes me wonder if im really saved or if i have messed up to bad to have forgiveness..

yvy Reply:

i believe you have never messed up too much for God to forgive you, let your guilt go, and keep praying that God will reniew your mind and your thoughts, God will know of your struggle, keep reading the bible daily, in Jesus name. Amen x x x

ijeoma January 20, 2011 at 10:34 pm

thanks, great word– has uplifted my spirit. God bless.

Kathie January 29, 2011 at 6:07 pm

Greeting & Praise to our Lord Jesus Christ. I have had an issue for about a week now. I recently renewed my life to God which I am very happy & excited about. I had a really bad dream which dealt with the devil trying to get me to say something bad about God/ The Holy Spirit. I did not say it and it got mad & started to choke me. I felf happy & proud when I woke up but, have been having bad thoughts & that’s not me in my heart or Soul what’s the deal with that? I LOVE God with ALL my heart & Soul so why do I keep having those evil thoughts even after I resisted the devil in my dreams. Please someone give me some answers. Thanks, always in Gods love.

Iryna Reply:

Dear Kathie,
I know how you feel. I’ve been through the same trial a few times before. You must know that this is the enemy trying to make you somehow turn away from God. But know that God will deliver you and He will never let you go. You must be patient and trust God to help you. Throw yourself at God and know that he will always catch you. Consider what you are going through right now as pure joy, because this will get you closer to God and make you stronger in Him.
GOD BLESS YOU!!!

ploumar August 21, 2011 at 10:10 am

thank you for posting although you did not explain *how* to cast down imaginations- i think one of the reasons why we as Christians are confused about alot of issues we face, is because we use one verse to explain away another and alot of religious jargon to explain away problems, while not figuring out *how* to do what is said in the first verse of scripture. It can be an unclear understanding of the 400 year old English used in the KJV or we don’t know fully what to do so we just repeat scripture w/no understanding of how to implement it into our lives practically-I pray God help us and bring divine solutions to what we face w/our thoughts

Naquan August 21, 2011 at 1:45 pm

Hi Ploumar,

Thanks for your comment. I do agree that as Christians, we need to be taught HOW to do as the scripture states. If there is anything you would like to add to this article, please do share. I welcome anything that will encourage or add to what was written here in the comments.

God bless you :)

Faith February 1, 2012 at 10:45 pm

Thank you for this blog, this really has encouraged me more. I have had this issue evern since I was 9 years old. and i found out that the only way these thoughts would disappear were if I turned towards the ways of the world and stopped thinking about him all at once. I’m 17 years old now and I realized that all this time it was just the devil trying to prevent me from growing closer to God. This year of 2012 I gave my life back to Christ devoting myself to him. I have been reading my bible everyday and found that even my behavior is beginning to improve. Although I’m still suffering from these bad thoughts, i am going to continue to trust in the Lord that he will help me overcome these thoughts because giving up will only make the devil happy. I know that there is a purpose for everything and that God will make me stronger as I overcome these thoughts. I thank the Lord for being my best friend and I encourage you brothers and sisters to stay with him and remain in prayer for he is the only one who can truly help you. He understands everything your going through. God bless you all! :)

Ed Reply:

I am over joyed to see your standing firm in the Lord. For as its written he who stands firm will be saved…. I to fight with these bad thoughts at a different level but I know our mind is the battle field because if the devil can get you to turn back then he wins. BUT SAY NO…

The Lord Jesus sees all things and will deliver us from this in time, we must just stand strong in him. Amen

Naquan February 5, 2012 at 3:16 pm

@Faith,

God bless you! As you continue to read the word of God, I pray in Jesus name that the voice of the enemy will be silent and that you receive God’s spirit of peace for your mind! I declare peace over your mind. Those bad thoughts must flee in Jesus name!

God bless you Faith! :)

Daniel Rodger April 8, 2012 at 6:21 pm

Thanks, God bless you.

jeremy April 28, 2012 at 8:57 am

your the bomb! thanks for helping to strengthen those who need it Gods doing great work through you!!!

Mark August 24, 2012 at 11:40 am

Thank you for your insight into this matter. I am a born-again Christian, but even began doubting my salvation due to bad thoughts about God I started having. I thought I was the only one to experience this until I found others on the internet who have had the same or similar experiences. I am now praying for God to deliver me from this and also to give me assurance of salvation.
Please include me in your prayers.
Thank you so much!

Tanesha September 9, 2012 at 1:57 am

This was right on time. I have been dealing with the same issues with my mind! I pray for everyone here. It’s great to see people dealing with the same issues and overcoming, it gives me hope :) God bless.

JOY September 21, 2012 at 1:37 pm

I’m having the same problem and i can’t wait to get over because i don’t wanna feel like this about god I just want to have a strong faith and be close to HIM!!! And i have been praying for a healing but my prayers haven’t been answered yet and i don’t knw what to do anymore this is emotionally and.mentally draining me someone plz help

Nick October 18, 2012 at 11:41 pm

I have the same problem. Also when I get upset these horrible thoughts enter. I ask Jesus for forgiveness each time. I pray for Jesus to protect us ALL and give us His Strength an Peace in our hearts an minds. Praise Jesus for His Grace an Mercy on us an forgiveness ,and ,may those lost find Jesus. God Bless y’all in
Jesus Mighty Name,amen,shalom. CBN.com

Jose October 28, 2012 at 3:46 pm

Amen we are winners

Cherna July 11, 2013 at 12:40 pm

Thanks so much I’ve been struggling with this for couple months now a lady already prayed for me because someone did voodoo on me and I thought it would be better but it keeps coming back so thank for this God bless and if you comment back it would mean the so much to me and thanks

reuben August 15, 2013 at 7:10 am

Hello brother on CHRIST iam reuben thanks for your sharing this wonderful and blessful word of God iam so glad I thought that I was the only one experiencing this spiritual problem but I felt Gids love inside me thank u very much this means a lot to I hope we will continue in serving God faithfully and boldlesly GOD bless I hope many people will ne save.

emile August 24, 2013 at 3:57 am

thanks, God bless you

Annette December 21, 2013 at 8:28 pm

I have also been carrying this deep dark secret for a while now. It scares me to have these thoughts. I have begun reading the word more and more and feel God working in my life but these thoughts are what I describe as spiritual warfare. It causes me to doubt but I throw scripture back at them when I have them. They mostly come when I am praying but at other times too.

I am glad to have found this site. Pray for me and I will pray for you.

Austin January 16, 2014 at 7:40 am

I have the same problem….with thoughts.and the final thing i wil do, is to let God in life. …and meditate by his Word…..remember me in your prayers

Austin January 16, 2014 at 7:42 am

GOD DELIVER US FROM EVIL. …