Unemployment Depression: Encouragement for the Unemployed

by Naquan on February 5, 2010

Let’s face it; one of the most devastating things a person can experience is getting laid off from work or being turned down for numerous positions due to business slowing or shutting down.

Today, while applying for jobs, I begin to feel hopeless, somewhat depressed and a desire to give up.  There’s nothing worse than being told, “We’re not hiring” or “we’ll contact you if we’re interested” leaving you no hope of employment.

Glory be to God, there’s encouragement for those dealing with unemployment depression and stress.  Although you may have lost your job and feel like giving up, though you may feel scared, I want to encourage you and let you know that you’re not alone; that your help comes from the Lord.

However, in order for you to see that, one must fight the depression and stress associated with unemployment.   Choosing not to fight depression will make it difficult for you to see the light at the end of the tunnel.  It will affect you while you seek employment and possibly hinder you from seeking the helping hand of the Lord.

Pick Yourself Up and Fight Unemployment Depression

Guard Your Thoughts

Loss of income and financial security can cause unemployment depression and leave one stressed about money.  There is nothing worse than being unemployed and scared; wondering if you’ll ever find a job.  As a Christian dealing with depression due to unemployment, it is vital for you to guard your thoughts at all times during this transition.

The devil will use every opportunity he has to whisper doubt, fear, worry, anxiety and anything else that’s contrary to the spirit of the Lord.  Guard your thoughts and allow no room for the devil to plant seeds of despair and worry.

Cast Your Cares upon the Lord

“Cast your cares on the LORD and he will sustain you; he will never let the righteous fall” (Psalms 55:22; NIV).

Give your depression and worries to the Lord as the scripture encourages you to do so because the Lord does in fact care about your financial needs.  He cares even when you think He doesn’t, He understands although it may seem as though no one else understands; even when you feel alone and scared, God is there and He cares.

I encourage you to have a made up mind in the Lord and to have the determination that you will get through this because you are more than a conqueror (Romans 8:37).  I don’t care if you have to pray to the Lord 20 times a day in order for you to cast your worries upon Him; do it.  God will give you His peace during this season in exchange for your worries.

And I will tell you this; when you learn to cast your depression, worries and anxieties upon the Lord, God will provide you with the peace and mindset needed to positively and faithfully get through the transition you’re in.

Encourage Yourself in the Lord

It’s interesting the thoughts that come to mind when dealing with unemployment.  Some become lazy, some become suicidal and some even spend their entire day thinking about everything that could go wrong.  Although these responses may seem natural, it’s counterproductive mentally, emotionally, spiritually and financially.

I encourage you to read the word of God; begin to encourage yourself in the Lord.  It’s like the old saying, “what comes in must come out.”  Well, when you put nothing in, expect to worry and to be depressed.  Why?  Because you’re thinking and placing your faith in what you can tangibly see when God instructs us to have faith in what we do not see (Hebrews 11:1).

Read the word of God and expect to be empowered in the Lord; expect your faith to increase.  For every worry and lie the devil has magnified and told you, instead of listening and believing it, I encourage you read your Bible and believe what the Lord says about you and your situation.

If depression and stress from unemployment consumes your thoughts, find scriptures that speak of God being a provider and a way maker.  Decide right now that unemployment depression and stress is not an option and that you’ll begin strengthening and encouraging yourself in the Lord.

Pray and/or Seek Prayer

As a Christian, the last thing you need while coping with unemployment is to stay in a state of depression.  Yes, as humans it’s natural to feel depressed; however, it’s exhorted that you don’t allow yourself to dwell there.

If need be, ask someone you trust to pray for and/or with you.  The scripture declares: “don’t worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need and thank him for all he has done” (Philippians 4:6; NLT).

The last thing you need to feel is a sense of loneliness; as though you have no one to turn to.  You have Christ who promises to never leave you nor forsake you and you have those whom Christ places in your life to intercede and pray on your behalf.

Pray and ask God for His blessing and unmerited favor as you apply for jobs; petition the Lord and tell Him in prayer what your needs are.  Don’t under estimate the power of prayer because the Bible tells us that the prayer of the righteous is powerful and effective (James 5:16; NIV).

Unemployment Depression: Finial Words

Dealing with unemployment is never easy; dealing with unemployment AND depression doesn’t make the situation any better.  I encourage you to have a determined mind to fight the emotional stress of unemployment and depression because you are more than a conqueror through Jesus Christ (Romans 8:37).  It may not feel like it now, but at the end, you will come out of this standing victorious in the Lord.  Have faith in the Lord to grant you favor with employers and to provide you with a job.  Be encouraged Christian because you’re not alone (Hebrews 13:5); your help cometh from the Lord (Psalm 121:2).

Prayer for Coping with Unemployment and Depression

Heavenly Father, thank you for your provision.  Thank you for being a provider and a way maker.  I cast all my financial worries and concerns upon you Lord and in exchange I ask for and receive your peace.   Father I thank you in advance for the job you have in store for me.

As I actively and diligently seek employment, I ask for your unmerited favor and blessing with employers right now in the name of Jesus; you know my needs and I make a decision right now to trust you with them.  I thank you Lord that it’s already done.  I thank you Lord for taking care and supplying my every need according to your riches in glory.  I thank you Lord.  In Jesus name I pray; Amen.

Be blessed and encouraged in Jesus name.

Receive spiritual words of encouragement and daily devotions for Christian everyday living by RSS feed or via email. Thanks for visiting and God bless you :)

No related posts.

karen montana October 21, 2010 at 2:03 pm

I am so glad I looked up this website, I have full faith in the Lord, its hard dealing with our human emotions, thinking what will tomorow will be like, I just thank the Lord what I have now, there’s more people out there in worst situations. I will continue to look up to him all the time with my fullest faith I never gave up on him I just needed words of encouragement, there are days I feel so alone, but I know I’m not…

kaye-t November 19, 2010 at 6:21 am

thank you for this wonderful words of wisdom and encouragement. thank you for sharing this prayer. It will be a great help for people like me, who seek for a job and to sustain my problem financially and emotionally.

God Bless you always

Ginger Applebee January 9, 2011 at 7:14 pm

This was a great article about christian jobs and unemployment. I would encourage readers to visit: http://www.findachristianjob.com – and many other Christian job search websites. There are jobs available and using websites such as this can help.

Gary February 13, 2011 at 6:02 pm

Thank you.
I found this article one year after it was written and it has confirmed all that I have been told by the Holy Spirit and many other Believers.

Thank you and God bless you richly.

Gary

Veronica February 16, 2011 at 9:20 am

I thank God for using you to help me realize that even though I feel the pressures of unemployment he will never forsake me. I know that I can trust God .

Clyde March 18, 2011 at 5:51 pm

I have prayed and been disappointed. Time after time layoff then fine a job, then layoff again.

NOW JUST TIRED OF ASKING.

Besides its easy to say don’t be depress when one has income received or never has been unemployed.

Chuck Reel Reply:

Clyde,
I don’t know if you’ll ever even see this due to the fact that the post I’m responding to is over 3 years old at this point. First and foremost, I hope you became and are still steadily employed. If that is true then I hope you are praising God for it; if it is not then I just want to let you know that I care and that I am struggling through unemployment myself and, wrong though I may be, I find myself wondering where the God who (knows every hair on my head) is. The truth is I know he’s there both for me and you and I have faith that HE WILL PROVIDE, though maybe not exactly what we think we need. If you wish to correspond further, my email address is chuckreel@bellsouth.net. God bless you my brother, keep your chin up, and have a great day!

Sade April 13, 2011 at 11:58 am

This was a great post that helped me to see how I can help people close to me deal with this type of depression. This post has helped my mind to be renewed. Stay blessed and keep on posting.

Lynn June 11, 2011 at 4:26 pm

This was just what I NEEDED today! Amen

Lynn June 11, 2011 at 4:27 pm

Wow! This was very encouraging and needed today.

vic June 17, 2011 at 6:10 am

Thanks,for this am going through a rough time now searching for a job but i believe he is faithful and shall provide. Shall post back of his marvelous works once i get the job he has prepared for me. God Bless and pray for me

Crystal August 16, 2011 at 10:39 am

Thank you. I needed these words of encouragement at the very moment that I came across your blog. I know that my Lord has not forsaken me and I also know that my faith lies within Him. He has plans for me to prosper. Though at times, my depression tries to get the best of me, I am reminded that I must trust in His word. To God be the Glory for He has done great things!

Naquan August 16, 2011 at 11:22 pm

To All,

Thanks for your replies! You are all in my prayers!

Dee Reply:

Thank you for doing what you do. God bless you!

Dee September 14, 2011 at 7:16 pm

I really needed these words of encouragement and have for such a long time. I have been unemployed for ten months and feeling the pressure of not having an income. I came upon these prayers and am encouraged more than ever that God is working when it doesn’t feel as though he is. I will continue to keep my faith and am very grateful for what I do have and the not the have nots. I know that he will never forsake me or leave me. Thank you so much for lifting my spirits up tremendously!

Sherelle September 29, 2011 at 4:58 pm

Thank you for these encouraging words. I am putting ALL of my trust in the Lord because only He can see me throught these difficult times. Thank you Lord for ALL you have done, ALL that you are doing, and ALL that you are about to do for me. Thank you Lord for the job that you have in store for me. I receive it in the name of Jesus!

vic October 1, 2011 at 1:16 am

Hi i promised i shall post back when i get my breakthrough, God has been faithful and am finally back working after several months, i relied on his promises and claimed them over my life. If your going through a similar situation please dont give up God has a plan for you and he listens to your every prayer, though you might not feel it he is there right next to you and sees all your going thorough. Naquan please know that you are helping many through this blog, thanks for the prayers and i shall be praying for you too

D January 12, 2012 at 11:52 am

I needed that!

Thank you for providing a healthy direction/solution!

Kete January 29, 2012 at 3:44 pm

I am an unemployed graduate and iv been applying for several posts bt no luck and its almost a year now. I need a job and i hope God will provide me with that job iv been waiting for very soon.i believe n have faith that he has great plans for me. I am greatful for what he has done for me n i know that many blessings r still coming my way.I thank him in advance for the job that he is gona bless me with.he is the king of kings,the Lord of Lord and he knows everything, therefore y should i stress.? I thank u Father!

Mandy Reply:

Kate, i am expericing the similar thing with you. I am an unemployed graduate too. It’s been a year and i ‘ve suffered from anxiety and depression. I keep praying to God to heal my soul and restore my joy and peace. However, i feel very worried when i search the job-hunting website and know noe of job is likely to my wished job. I still not sure what God wants me to do and i am not sure my waiting is worth or not. Its very confused for me.

kete Reply:

Hey Mandy,I knw what ur going through.Iv been there too,IV suffered frm depression too and I was always angry n thinking too much.All my friends r working bt me,that’s one of the reasons that got me depressed.but that has all changed now,since I started drawing myself closer to God everything has changed n I’m a new person now.I’m always positive n have faith that God has greater plans for me and my job is outhere waiting for me.we should jst walk with God n apply,something will come up very soon for us.let’s keep on loving God,having faith and applying,ul c we will get those jobs soon.

Mandy Reply:

Thanks kete. Glad to hear that you have recovered from the depression and have strong faith.

For some graduates, they may send out large amount of CVs and just take a job that the employer hire them. But, i find it hard to do that. I feel so uncomfortable when i send out CVs to a job that i dont really like.

So, I have prayed crazily every day and night. I pray God will give me a direction and steps.
I want to take a job the God likes me to do. But, i dont know whether i can hear that.

Its very depressed that all my peers deem i am lazy. They dont contact me anymore because of that. I had attend a church, however, few of folks in church think i am a rare. It let me feel very upset. Now, i have not atten the church, but, I read bible and pray everyday to build relationship with God.

Naquan January 31, 2012 at 11:43 pm

@ALL,

During the times where it seems as if nothing is happening and God isn’t moving, I encourage you to not draw away from God but to draw nearer to Him. Everything happens in life with purpose. Nothing happens by chance. I am praying for each of you! Don’t let the situation discourage you. Let it encourage you to TRUST Him who can do all things!

kete Reply:

Wow great words hey ,thank u so much.

Mandy Reply:

Thank you Naquan. I did feel angry with God before. But, then, i realize God made everything happens in life with purpose. I admit that It is really a hard lesson for me.

Shena Wyrick October 20, 2012 at 2:14 am

I am asking that you pray for My husband is General Contractor he is unable to find a work consistently. Please that Lord Jesus help him to win Contractors. Please send angels to motivate and encouragement.

georgetta davis Reply:

IWILL PRAY FOR YOU. GOD NEVER MAKES A MISTAKE.IFOUND OUT GOD TAKES US THRU THINGS TO BE A WITNESS TO OTHERS ,JUST TAKE DAY BY D AY THANKING HIM FOR WHAT WE HAVEGOD BLESS YOU SISTER .IM INTHE SAME THING AS YOU PRAY FOR US .THE LORD WILL PROVIDE.

king_of_convenience June 6, 2013 at 3:12 pm

I’m discouraged and depressed – this unemployment streak has got to end. I pray and commit my ways to the Lord. I finished graduate school and I’ll be coming up on 3 years unemployed. Please pray for me. I don’t know what else to do.

Tyshanda August 7, 2013 at 8:14 pm

Excellent, just what I needed today. I will have been unemployed 8 months now and the devil was starting to get the best of my thoughts. Thank you!

Feras January 28, 2014 at 2:23 pm

Thank you for this article. Trusting in the Lord, my provider, my redeemer!

Nisha May 15, 2014 at 12:38 am

Thank you for the encouragement, I really needed this. I have been unemployed for over 4 months now and it has been difficult for me especially in my finances. I trust and have faith in the Lord will provide and make a way for me.