Trusting God When You Don’t Understand

by Naquan on April 2, 2010

It’s easy to say, “give your cares to the Lord and trust Him” when everything in life seems to be going well.  It’s easy to say, “I trust you Lord with everything I own” when bills are paid on time and when you just got a promotion at work.

However, if God striped you of everything you own; If God told you to leave the very job that’s paying your bills, will you trust the Lord enough to do it?  Will you trust God even when you don’t understand; even when life hurts?  If God told you to leave the familiar and enter the unfamiliar, will you trust Him?

For many of you, God has done just that.  He has taken you from what’s “oh so familiar” and redirected your paths into the unfamiliar.  You don’t understand what’s happening in your life; what to do or where to go.  The only thing you know is that the Lord gave you a word (instruction, a promise, vision, etc) and the only thing you have to hold on to is that word.

I understand the feeling; you’re not alone.  There is encouragement for you today.  Here are 4 things to remember whenever you feel as though you don’t understand what God is doing and/or allowing in your life.

Consider the Source

I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end, the first and the last (Revelation 22:13).

Who else can say that but God?  No one, only God can say such a thing.  God knows everything: the past, current and future and our knowledge and understanding doesn’t even compare to the knowledge and understanding of God –  even when it applies to our own life.

Furthermore, when you don’t understand what God is doing in your life, consider the source – Who is it that you’re trusting; God or yourself?

Here is something to remember.  Man is fallible; we fall short and at times we’re unable to keep our promises.  Man can give you instructions that are misleading and imperfect.  With God, none of these things are possible.  God keeps His promises, God gives you right instructions according to His perfect will and He won’t mislead you.

No matter how much you don’t understand life as it is right now; no matter how uncomfortable it may seem or how hard it gets, don’t give up.  If God is with you -  the same God who spoke life into you, the same God who IS and knows the beginning and the end, the same God who knew you before the foundation of this world -is with you, then ask yourself who or WHAT can stand against you.

Consider the source and seek to be obedient to the Lord, even when you don t understand what God is doing in your life; don’t worry about “this or that” because God has provisions for you.

Trust the Lord

Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding (Proverbs 3:5).

When you learn to trust the Lord, you will begin to have a sense of rest in the Lord knowing that He has everything under control even when life seems to be out of control.  Trusting God will get you to the point where you make a decision to trust in Him and NOT in your own logic and understanding.

As Christians, we must make a decision to trust Him regardless of how scary the situation may seem.  Trusting God doesn’t prevent you from being in uncomfortable situations but it does allow you to be placed in a position where you seek the Lord’s presence, provisions, guidance and promises.

I encourage you to stop stressing yourself out- losing sleep, being weary, anxious, worried, depressed and sad.  Don’t try to understand the ways of God because it is impossible for you to understand His decisions and ways! (Romans 11:33). The natural man cannot understand the things of God.  For God’s ways are higher than mans, they are past finding out and this is why we must make a decision to trust our all knowing God.

Be Obedient

The bible states that “obedience is better than sacrifice (1 Samuel 15:22)” which should tell you a lot about our God.  God places significance on obedience.  He’ll much rather you be obedient to His instruction than for you to give Him sacrificial praise, money offerings, fasting and etc.

Why do I bring obedience up?  Because when God gives you instruction and you’re in a situation where you don’t understand what’s going on in your life, you need to be reminded to be obedient and to trust in the one who does understand – Christ.   There are blessings that follow a person who is obedient just as there are curses that follows a person who is disobedient.

God Will Lead You

The LORD had said to Abram, “Leave your native country, your relatives, and your father’s family, and go to the land that I will show you” (Genesis 12:1).

God told Abraham to leave everything he knew; everything he was familiar with and to enter into the unfamiliar.  God told him to go into a land which he will show him which meant Abraham didn’t know where he was going; He only had the instruction of the Lord to depend on.  Abraham could have easily said, “God, where will I go; what will I eat and drink”, but he didn’t.  He chose to trust God and be obedient and as Christians we must learn to do the same.

“It was by faith that Abraham obeyed when God called him to leave home and go to another land that God would give him as his inheritance. He went without knowing where he was going” (Hebrews 11:8).

As much as we would like God to give us “what where when and how” upfront all the time (all in one shot), God does not operate like that.  Sometimes, God will place you in a satiation where you have to trust Him and He’ll give you piece by piece as you obey and trust Him.

As a person who’s been in this situation, I will tell you that this only increases your faith as you learn to walk by faith and not by sight.

Trusting God When You Don’t Understand: Finial Words

I don’t know what your story is (your more than welcome to share it below), but I encourage you to trust God even when you don t understand what’s happening in your life.

You may not understand life and all that’s happening; but God will give you a piece to the puzzle as you learn to step out on faith, trust and obey him.

Don’t let the devil fool you into believing that you’re taking a step backwards in life or that you’ll never make it out of this situation; because you will.  What you’re going through is temporary.

Encourage yourself in the Lord daily; read His word; pray without ceasing and seek His face.  The next time you find yourself in a position where you are stressed and worried about what God is doing in your life remember to:

1. Consider the Source
  2. Trust the Lord
  3. Be Obedient
  4. Trust God to Lead You

Prayer for Trusting God’s When You Don’t Understand Life

Heavenly Father,

I ask that you place within me your obedient spirit so that I may be obedient to your instruction.  Help me Lord to walk by faith and not by sight.  I don’t understand what you’re doing in my life, but I make a decision to trust you God.

In this season, I ask that you place within me your spirit of joy, peace and rest.  Give me joy; peace and rest to endure all that comes my way.  Right now, I make a decision to trust you Lord because I know that you’re in control of my life even when my life seems to be out of control.

Lord, I thank you for clarity, guidance, provision and strength.  I pray and ask for these things in Jesus name; Amen.

Pray and stay in the word of God.  There is strength for you in the word of God.  Trust the Lord and be obedient even when you don’t understand life and what God is doing.  Be blessed and encouraged in Jesus name.

Receive spiritual words of encouragement and daily devotions for Christian everyday living by RSS feed or via email. Thanks for visiting and God bless you :)

Related posts:

1. When Life is Hard and Difficult
  2. God is Faithful
  3. Trusting and Waiting on the Lord
  4. I’m Mad at God
  5. God’s Ways Are Not Our Ways

gilbert silumbu July 8, 2014 at 1:41 am

I am so blessed to have this message AMEEEEEEN

Julie July 10, 2014 at 3:28 pm

Funny how I found this. I was on a “Why does God remove people out of your life?” search. I have recently made some major changes in my life…leaving a city/state I have lived in for over 30 years and a job I have been at for 15 years. I had no idea what I was doing…I only knew that my “inner voice” was telling me that I would be “ok.” I took the leap of Faith and moved to an unfamiliar city…no job…no friends…new church, etc. After applying to over 30 jobs, I am still unemployed, still searching for a church home and still wondering if I did the right thing. As I feel my Faith waivering…I do not give up hope and I continue to go to a new church I’m not sure I’m comfortable in yet, and I constantly Pray…not knowing if my Prayers are being heard or answered. Then I found this page. It clarified a lot of things I needed to hear and it is good to know that I just need to hang in there and not let my Love and Faith for God waiver because He IS here and He IS listening…I just need to leave my issues with Him and let them go! Thank you for this article. God Bless you! :-)

Youmae Ann Wallace July 15, 2014 at 11:21 pm

Thanks , for this awesome post , this post was very encouraging , went straight from the words on the page to deep part of my soul ! Thanks a lot for this wonderful God specking to me post.

richard garcia July 24, 2014 at 10:42 am

Hello. Thank u very much for the words of encouragement. I am going through a seperation after 5 yrs of marriage (8yrs together) due to my wife telling me she is no longer in love with me. We have a five yr old son together who is my everything. My wife once was a believer but has since lost her spiritual way. I had lost mine too, but have found comfort in God and knowing that He is with me during this journey. I feel like I am supossed to go through this to make myself a better person and strengthen my faith in God.

Deborah July 25, 2014 at 7:26 am

This article Blessed me. I google “Why is everything going wrong in my life what is God’s will” and this article came up. The past 2 years have been the worst I have ever experienced. I lost my job 2 years ago, then my mother passed away from cancer, then a close friend of mine passed away from injuries from a motorcycle accident. During this time of lost I have been trying to find employment. I decided to try to relocate for better job opportunities. I had to move in with my sister. My daughter’s father now wants primary custody. I had not 1 but 2 job offers in another state. The judge would not make a decision on allowing me to relocate with my daughter until he hold a custody hearing. Well the custody evaluator that the court uses totally lied and omitted information in her report and favored the Father. Here I stand today…the judge has pushed the custody hearing to be heard in about 2 weeks. The job offer I no longer have, because the employer can not accommodate me for the time I need off for the custody hearing, my sister is moving to a smaller house and I have no job prospects in the state I’m living in. I have to admit I’m terrified of losing my daughter due to LIFE events that I have no control over. I have tried to stay positive about my situation and it gets hard. Sometimes I question if God hears me when I pray. Through all of this my faith in God has strengthened greatly. Maybe it’s God’s will for me to lose custody of my daughter. I just don’t understand why…I’m a great mother not perfect. I read the bible seeking answers and guidance, I pray, I talk to God. I feel like I’m doing everything I can do. At this point I’m feeling weak and broken. I asked that whomever reads this pray for me and my daughter.

laura Reply:

Hi Deborah, I’m sorry I didn’t see this sooner, but no matter what has happened in the mean time, I want you to know always, God says he hears and will answer a contrite heart. Brokenness and sincerity we know, He specializes in restoring the broken, whether in spirit or physical sense forms. When we seek Him with our all, in His will, He will give us the desires of our hearts. It’s in His timing and in His way. I do know that if we allow Him, He WILL turn bad for good as well. And His word says He will restore what the cankerworm and the caterpillar have destroyed. I pray Gods complete blessings in healing, restoration etc. I your heart, mind, soul and spirit. That God sees fit in whatever situation you and your daughter are in right now, that’s His favor and abundant mercy fill your whole lives. Bless you and your family

Bri August 1, 2014 at 11:18 pm

Im so glad I found this site on Google. This article encouraged me so much. My life has been spiraling downhill for the past 7 months. I’ve lost my boyfriend, my job, my apartment and had to move back to my mother’s house after being independent for 7 years. I’ve had to leave my ministry that I love and a city where all of my friends are. It all started with my relationship. I was dating a guy from my church, who was younger. In the beginning, I felt like I met my husband. Our relationship slowly but surely got verbally and emotionally abusive. Because of his immaturity, he spread a lot of bias gossip around about me to the other men in the church including my pastor. Im a firm believer that relationship matter should stay private unless you both seek counsel. I felt awfully embarrassed about how he spoke about me. A few months later, I found out he was flirting with other women in my church. Including women who were in a small group with me (women who openly repented, confessed with whom I shared my personal struggles with) to be in sisterhood. This embarrassment killed me, making it harder for me to go to church. My pastor and his wife were supportive to an extent, knowing that something should be wrong because I never openly discussed “my side”. I was so disgusted about the rumors going around about me, I shut down. That is what i tend to do when i am hurt. I develop a wall over my hurt. A shell over my heart for protection. I cried out everyday and I know God was showing me that He wanted my heart. That this relationship was meant to be a breaking point to draw me closer to Him. That He would heal me in time, If i commit my ways to Him. Truthfully, in my brokeness I was all in. Until I started losing everything. Shortly after I lost my apartment, my job and this forced me to move back to my hometown. This is a place I swore I would never move back to. I feel like a complete loser. Since losing everything I have become so depressed. My faith has plummeted. I feel like I can’t trust God anymore, I have no hope. Just like this article expressed, I felt like I had no clue what God was doing in my life. Maybe I was just being tossed to the wayside. I didn’t understand the purpose in breaking me down so much. But I remember in my crying out that I prayed for God to never let me go back to depending on another human for love and acceptance. That is my struggle. I struggle with codependency. I love for people to affirm me especially men. In my head, I feel as though if I get love from a man that I will be complete. I know in my mind, that is a void. But try telling it to my heart. My heart has been so hardened toward God. I have been in a state of rebellion trying to get love from any exboyfriend I can. I tried to keep a bond with my boyfriend that I mentioned above, he has tossed me to the side. Every man treats me like crap now. Maybe because they smell my desperation. I know that I am better than this, I just want to feel better for the time being. I wake up with an emptiness I can’t describe. I thank God for this article because after reading this, I feel so much better. I was about to go out to drink alcohol and numb my depression but this lifted my spirits. I am staying in to just pray and lay in Gods presence. This lets me know that only God’s word can fill my heart and make me whole. I am so weak but I have a feeling this is where God wants me. I pray not to get ahead of myself and to trust God even when i don’t see. Lord help me not to try to predict you like you’re a genie. Help me Lord to not try to pimp you, to be obedient for a blessing. Help me Lord to want you. You are my reward. To have a beautiful savior who loves me unconditionally, died for my sin and mistake to continue to accept me into His beloved and shower me with love and grace every time not reminding me of how much I betray him, turn my back on Him, rebelled against Him for measily human. But a savior who has given me nothing but open arms. Lord forgive me for i have sinned against you. I am so sorry, Jesus. Help me to be who you created me to be. Help me to stop comparing myself to others. Trying to be a mold or replica of something desired or cool. Help me to love me for me and to walk confidently in the woman that is me. Lord help me not only to love you, but to love myself. Oh God you are the author of Love, oh Lord you are Love in itself. Grab my heart and consume it Jesus. Help me to place my weakness in your hands day by day not just when Im backed in a corner. I pray for my obedience. I pray against any spirit contrary to your word that will come against my obedience to you. Help me to be mindful in which the ways I walk before you and before man as a representative of You. I thank you Lord for the power to express my prayer on this blog. I ask in my weakness you use me to bless another life. I love you Lord, you are all that I need. Amen.

laura Reply:

Amen, that’s correct the turn, man have I too found myself where you are at times, especially thinking I was tossed to the way side by God…. You have chosen the correct thing to do, throw your entire being at Jesus’s feet. Hope to see praise reports soon. In Jesus name Lord your will be done in this lady’s life. Amen

Gee August 12, 2014 at 12:51 pm

Wow! The only thing you didn’t do was call MY name! This is so ON TIME for me RIGHT NOW. Never been in a place like this but I know I’m being lead by God. My story is to long to go into but THIS IS FOR ME, TODAY, RIGHT NOW, THIS VERY MOMENT. I’m at a place now that ALL I can pray is…FATHER GOD, I DON’T UNDERSTAND BUT I TRUST YOU. This is NOT a place of comfort but since I know I’m doing HIS WILL…that’s where my comfort comes in. Daily this is with me…got to bed with it…wake up with it. I KNOW God Yahweh is up to something awesome BUT right now it doesn’t “feel” like it. God is the ONLY ONE who understands me and can help me. I just got to HOLD ON and DON’T GIVE UP. Blessings to you whom I know God spoke this thru you for me and others like myself…this is so on time! Yahweh bless you!

Lisa August 12, 2014 at 5:53 pm

I am recovering from a broken heart and this message was very timely for me.

I recently reconnected with a childhood friend and we fell in love right away. Things were going great and we agreed to seek the Lord for confirmation for marriage as well as our parents for approval. Things seemed to be going right until I was called out by a visiting prophetess at church who told me this relationship was not in the will of God.

Devastated, I called my love and we agreed that we would take heed to what the prophetess said knowing that believing in God’s prophets is the key to our prosperity. Unfortunately, this is easier said than done and now I am left to deal with the emotional wound that’s a result of my obedience.

Even though I am truly hurt and confused, I trust and believe God’s plan for my life as well as my love’s. Thank you for your words of encouragement.

jwh August 29, 2014 at 2:27 am

Within in the last few months I lost a job where I never caused trouble, worked three peoples jobs, put forth so much effort and I was well liked. I was fired because per HR’s advice, I confronted my boss who lied on me to save his own reputation thus ruining mine, and he didn’t like this and had me fired. That same month I battled with unemployment. Then my landlord wanted to give me problems none stop. I’m bipolar so all the stress which started landed me in the hospital just for the night. My boyfriend who was supported and a recovering alcoholic was dealing with his own issues and decided that we should help his friend who slipped in his drug addiction. Then my boyfriend slipped in his drinking which left me having to deal with them both, my landlord, a lost job unemployment… well, me being bipolar I slipped into a break down and was inches away from suicide. I took myself (by myself) to the hospital. I’m was in the mental hospital for only two days because the insurance decided I was well enough to go home. Moments after I walk out the doors, unemployment calls and I’m dealing with that. Then I am dealing with my mother after that who was cool (I didn’t know at the time she was scared.) I get home to a loving boyfriend who took good care of me. I thought I was safe. He told me he would take care of me and we made plans so we could help each other. Next day his roommate’s sister flew into town. No big deal. He was going with roommate to pick her up. No big deal. I’m continued to make plans for a project coming up. I call my mom. She tells me she doesn’t want to talk to me any more. I go to my apartment, landlord tells me je doesn’t want my boyfriend in my apartment anymore, I call my boyfriend who had blown me off every since the girl (well, woman 25 years older than he) arrived. He yells at me. I’m alone. The next day. It’s official, my unemployment is denied. I’m a messed. I call my boyfriend. He ignores me. Anxious, he continues to ignore me. I later realize he is with this sister who is older and rich and I accused him of this. That evening he yells at me for acting so crazy and swears I was wrong saying he was taking a mental health day from me. Course he never told me this. And he swears he wasn’t with the woman. The next day he breaks up with me with grand insults mocking my illness. Then he insists on being friends taking no for an answer. I say no because I knew he was lying to me. Three days later he marries the very rich older woman I accused him of cheating on me with that one day and he moved back to Mexico with her. My life confined to spiral from there. There’s more to the story but my fingers hurt.

jwh Reply:

I neglected to add that I pray every day, do my daily devotions, attended church weekly, bible study, and always had my me, God and Jesus time. When all of this happened, I felt that God abandoned me because when I cried out I felt no comfort. I felt totally alone and my suicidal thoughts then became so strong I acted on them twice.

Vania August 31, 2014 at 7:11 am

thanks for sharing and the encouragement to trust and depend on God instead of worrying etc.

Stephen John September 8, 2014 at 5:56 am

For encouragement for how REAL God is, and the only thing that if FULLY REAL, this is a tiny portion of a testimony of mine from about 3 years ago now. Not even having read the bible, believing of God and about God and of Jesus and about Jesus at the time but not even thinking about Him at the time, but rather about ‘what is time” He Made Himself Known Unto me (which lead to a repentance of my very person)…but the sayings of which were many IN that Revelation was “Consider the Source, put not the cart before the horse”, and “Trust the Process” (no matter what ‘you’ think, trust the process) as in ‘Forget the Rest, Remember the Best”. Acting on The Process had as much to do with not doing something as much as it did with continuing forward. I just saw your post now, and it matches almost perfectly with what was Taught in essentially a microsecond. (And afterward, after what I call The Threshing Floor Experience)..I offered up a sacrificial prayer to Him in tears, on the floor of my apartment..the prayer was..myself.

Yolanda September 8, 2014 at 7:05 pm

God tells you to leave a bad marriage and you don’t?
But you know it’s God telling you to leave?

Saheed Ibrahim September 11, 2014 at 7:13 am

This message speaks exactly what am going through. I thank the Lord because He’s touching me right now even as I have faith in Him.. Amen

Deborah September 11, 2014 at 2:28 pm

I have been dealing with a lot. My father passing from cancer and now my grandfather is really sick. I fall on my knees and ask God to help me please. I have been doing this online school thing and at times find myself not wanting to log in because at time I tends to play the pity party. I have been trying to fix a lot of things myself and not really leaning on God to help me and guide me. I will be going this weekend to take my nursing state board and I catch myself getting worried about everything. I feel that if I just let go and let God everything will be all smile. I have been in a set back case to where I almost lost my house because of doing stupid stuff with my money but know that I know that God will give it to you and he will sure take it away if not used the right way. I’m learning everyday to be thankful for what I have and not look at what other have because I have no clue of what they have to do to get the items they have. I’m asking for everyone to please pray for me and my family to ask God to keep leading us in the right direction because it so easy to be pulled in the wrong path and it’s hard to get back right if you do not have a strong mind set and obey God rules. I want to be right and live right and keep learning more about our father up above. I know that receiving this email was sent to me by God to get my attention and slow me down. After reading brought tears to my eyes and after reading other posted stories just let me know that life it not about playing the pity party with yourself because there is someone else that need that attention. I will strive to be better at my think and action and I will strive to give God more of my time. Thank you for thinking about me and sending me this email. I feel that everything that I’m aiming for I can do it with the help of God.

Brandon September 14, 2014 at 2:28 am

I’ll be honest. I’m mad at God. Maybe it’s wrong for me to feel this way, but it’s true. I truly, honestly feel that God led me to leave my friends, my family and everything dear to me, only for Him to take away the reason I moved and leave me feeling worthless, alone and completely broken inside. I honestly feel that He doesn’t care. And I don’t understand it. I would have NEVER moved if He didn’t work things out as He did. And I’ve reached myend. I’m physically and emotionally weak. I’ve been depressed. At one point I even seriously considering killing myself. I’ve tried trusting God, but at what point do you throw your hands up in the air and give up? It’s unreasonable to expect someone to endure forever. I’m only human. Even the strongest beam will break if you apply enough weight to it.

Naquan Reply:

Brandon,

Thank you for your commenting and being transparent. While we all have different walks of life, I understand some of what you feel. No, you are not wrong for being mad at God. Truth be told, I’ve had moments when I was mad and upset at God because He allowed something to happen and I could not comprehend why.

As I was reading your comment, what came to mind is Psalms 30:5 which states weeping may endure for a night but joy comes in the morning. Life experience has taught me that there are seasons for everything. Know that what you’re going through is that, a season. As a person whose experienced some of what you’ve experienced, know that your difficult season does not last always. I pray that God rekindles that hope and the joy you have in Him. Know that there will come a season of ‘joy in the morning’ for you.

I know things are not easy, however I pray the word of God over you which states “Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up” (Galatians 6:9). The reaping is endurance and the harvest is the joy that shall come in the morning. Don’t give up. It is coming. Continue to press and pray and surround yourself around God’s word. It is vital to have words of faith and hope entering into your spirit.
I will continue to keep you in prayer. God bless you.