Scripture: Make thankfulness your sacrifice to God, and keep the vows you made to the Most High (Psalm 50:14).
What are you thankful for as it relates to the things God has done for you? Have you told God thank you for all He’s done in your life? When we go to God in prayer it’s easy to ask God for a million and one things but have you told Him thank you for all He’s already done?
God’s word says to enter into his gates with thanksgiving, and into his courts with praise: be thankful unto him, and bless his name (Psalm 100:4). I encourage you to write down a list of 5-10 things you’re thankful for; no matter how BIG or “small” it is. Once you write this list, begin to give God thanks – praising Him; being thankful unto Him and blessing His name.
Don’t worry; I’ve done it too. Here’s my list of 8 things I’m thankful for:
- My Heavenly Father: The Bible says God demonstrated his love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us (Romans 5:8). Where would I be if Jesus didn’t go on the cross for me and save me from myself? I’ll be sinning relentlessly, indulging in every lustful thought, rebelling against authority figures and probably laying in my grave. However, God didn’t leave me to myself; He has shown Himself to me and changed my life slowly but surely. He’s my healer, provider, protector, lover and best friend. He’s everything and more. I’m grateful for God being in my life; without Him where would I be?
- My Family: After God, I am thankful for the wonderful family God has blessed me with. I’m thankful for a praying, teaching, determined, sold-out-to-Christ mother. I’ve learned so much spiritually through her. I am thankful for siblings who’ve taught me how to be self-less, caring, patient and considerate of others.
- My Senses: Taste. Sight. Feel. Hear. Smell. It’s so easy to over look these five things but imagine life without them. I don’t take them for granted.
- Past Mistakes: As crazy as this may sound, I am thankful for past mistakes; they have all led to making me who I am today. Although I didn’t enjoy the consequences of my mistakes, I am thankful that it made me and not break me.
- God’s Mercy and Grace: God said in His word that His grace is sufficient; that His power is made perfect in my weakness. I have many weaknesses and God has (and still is) delivering me from them but I need God’s mercy and grace to get there. I Bless the Lord for not giving up on me, for extending His hand of mercy and grace to me.
- God’s Forgiveness: Hebrews 8:12 says, “For I will forgive their wickedness and will remember their sins no more.” I didn’t know I served a God who will forgive me of everything until recently. I’m thankful for the forgiveness of the Most High because I’ve made mistakes along the way but God promises that if I repent of my sins, He’s faithful and just to forgive me and remember them no more.
- Rising Up Each Morning: Think about it, there are approximately 6.7 billion people living here on earth; of that, about 250,000 people don’t wake up to see another day. Each day that I am given is a blessing, I could have been part of the 250,000 people who didn’t see another day but God kept me and for that I am thankful.
- Good Health: I am in my right mind; I have the activity of my limbs and I am healthy.
Now that you’ve seen my list, I ask you: what are you thankful for? Write it down; go over it and begin to give God praise for all He’s done in your life. God bless you in Jesus name.